Of Biscuits and Boys

2:35 PM

So the other week I went to this little antique store in our town that I absolutely LOVE. I found this Betty Crocker cook book for kids and because I loved the illustrations and it was less that $2 I bought it.

There is a biscuit recipe in there that I decided to give a go. Now mind you-I have never made a biscuit in my life unless you count the ones in the can and my bread products I try to make at home...normally do NOT work out.

But everyone has to be brave and jump in when it comes to cooking sooner or later in life-so I decided to make some drop biscuits and...they were good.

So a few nights ago I was having a guest over for dinner and I wanted to make Chicken Pot Pie but I did NOT want to make the pie part.

So I went to allrecipes.com and lo and behold there was a recipe for chicken pot pie without the pie part called "Chicken and Biscuit Casserole". But I decided to just take the filling recipe and make that then make my own biscuits and just serve it over them (much easier in my opinion). They turned out amazing!

Like-from a can but...NOT.

So then today Elijah and I were getting to where we wanted some lunch. Jason had left some soup in the crockpot but I just did NOT want...soup. Something needed to go with it.

So I decided to make those biscuits again AND take pictures so I could share my new favorite go to recipe with my amazing blogger friends :)

So here we go:

How to make biscuits and juggle two sweet little boys under two years of age at the same time (whew write that on a recipe card).


Make sure your adorable 21 month old is securely in his high chair 
with WASHABLE makers
 and paper to make some beautiful art on.


 Get all of your ingredients out and put them on your dining room table
 because your counter space in the kitchen may be completely
 full with things like clean dishes to put away and a crockpot and other...stuff.
Well. Possibly.


Combine in a bowl:
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt


Use a pastry cutter
 (got mine from the same amazing antique store 
wonder how many biscuits it has helped make-
the stories it could tell)
to "cut" in
1/4 cup (4 TBSP) butter


It is ready when it starts to look crumbly.


Give your 21 month old an old camera so
"you can take pictures too!"


Check on sleeping six week old stopping long enough to go
"awww" (you know you all would too).


So here is your "dry ingredients".


Now for our wet ingredient.
3/4 cup milk.


Mix in with a fork.

Put dough on lightly floured surface.
Knead (about 20 times).
Roll out with floured rolling pin
-not to thin.


And cut out with amazing biscuit cutter you got from the good ole' antique store.


Then, get your 21 month old out of his chair to help you cut out the rest.




Put in a pre-heated oven at 450 degrees.


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (I lean towards 10).


While those are baking-watch your baker in training have FUN!







Timer goes off.
Get those biscuits out of the oven.


Let your 21 month old taste test (they passed).


After your 21 month old finishes his lunch, put him down for a nap
and eat your lunch of homemade biscuits and soup.


All while coaxing the sweetest smiles out of your six week old :)

And that is my favorite biscuit recipe :)

You Might Also Like

4 Thoughts

  1. Totally love this post!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely little boys with us - those pictures of Elijah with the dough are way too cute!!

    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I got a question: If you were to cut the biscuits into two halfs like a burger bun, would that would or would they be really crumbly and fall into pieces? cause i'm envisioning them right now with a spread of guacamole, or maybe a spread of feta-cheese, cut up olives and tomatoes, some onions, maybe a bit of basil or rosemary... I think that would look awesome for a homemade buffet, afternoon snack style.
    last but not least: Your boys are two cute little cookie pies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add: I will def try these. I tried twice before and they turned out flat and doughy, which was NOT pleasant... lol! Yours look perfect for my dream-biscuit-sandwiches...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those biscuits look amazing, and how fun to have something Elijah could help you with! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog :) I would love it if you would leave your thoughts! I will try to reply back with a comment as soon as I can so check back when you can especially if you have questions! :)

Please keep everything honoring to the Lord Jesus Christ (language, etc...) and appropriate for everyone :)

May the Lord richly bless you! Thanks for commenting :)

recent posts