Elijah's Birth Story-Part One

10:46 PM

Disclaimer: This is indeed a birth story (hence the title). Obviously I am going to be discreet but there are some things that are just going to have to be said just because, well, it is a birth story. So consider yourself warned :)

As I sit here staring at the computer screen I hardly know where to start. My little man is sleeping on my chest. How is it possible that he is a month already? When did that happen?

Thinking about the events that surrounded Elijah's birth two things come to mind:

#1: I was miserable.

I am sure that all woman feel that way the last few weeks of their pregnancies. You know like it is all a big joke and you will never ever ever get to meet your baby but instead will remain this pregnant and miserable for the REST OF YOUR LIFE! Ahem.

#2: God's ways are not our ways.

 You know the quote "You want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans." I feel like that pretty much sums up my entire birth experience! And you know what? I am so thankful that His ways are not my ways! But more on that and the lessons I learned later.

A few days before my due date my sisters and Jason's brother and sister came to stay with us for three weeks. It was so nice having them with us!

At this point I was swollen. Sore. Huge. Unable to get comfortable. Unable to really sleep. In pain. And yet, nothing really was happening.

We were planning a home birth and had the supplies and everything. I was getting very excited. We had a christian midwife who we absolutely loved and trusted. Early

My lovely sisters trying to compare to me...there was no comparison!  :)

Thursday, April 12, 2012:

I started having a lot of braxton hicks contractions and I knew from my previous visit to my midwife that I was starting to dilate and was 80% effaced. Jason went to work and I tried to go back to sleep but the contractions started getting consistent and more painful. So, I went over to the other house where my siblings were staying and started walking the floor taking breaks for the contractions.

Finally I called my midwife and since I had an appointment anyway and was wondering if my water had broken the night before she told me to just come in early and she would check me. So. We hopped in the car for the hour and a half drive to Daytona. Not fun when you are having contractions. Sadly though part way through the drive they stopped.

I got to the office and she checked me and nothing had really happened. It ended up that the contractions were, we think, him changing positions (he had been head down but facing the wrong way). I was so disappointed.

So because the girls were visiting and we were already there we went to Daytona beach. I was planning on walking out that baby but...got hungry instead plus I was so swollen it was painful to walk long ways.

So my due date was April 12, 2012. You know sort of the magic day that I am pretty sure almost every mom feels at some point is when the baby will automatically come. On that day. Never later. Ahem.

Well, that day came and went. To say I was somewhat devastated disappointed (remember the whole feeling like you are going to be pregnant forever stage) was an understatement.

Friday and Saturday-

Still waiting. Wanting this child to come so very badly! But my little man apparently was very content where he was!

Sunday, April 16, 2012-

I wake up later and start to get ready for church. Jason goes over early for Sunday school. I am putting on my make up when I realize that my face looks more swollen then usual. I text my midwife and she says to go and get my blood pressure taken.

I quick go and get Jason and we go to Publix and it is in the 140's. I let her know and she tells us to go home and sleep then take it again later on.

I get home and start feeling stranger so about 1 1/2 hours later I text her again and she says to go back and get my blood pressure again. This time is is in the 150's.

I call Karen and she says that we need to head to the hospital. She also prepared me for the fact that I was quite possibly going to be induced.

All the sudden I realized that I could be having my child THAT DAY. I also realized that it would probably not be the birth that I had wanted or planned BUT I was so ready to meet my baby that frankly I did not care one bit! I figured the sooner the better!

So off to the hospital we went.

Before we went in we got one last picture of me pregnant (just in case).

Yes people. It is true. I really did look like I had a watermelon under my shirt. I was so done and just wanted my baby boy out!

So we got to the hospital and thankfully my blood pressure went down as they monitored me. The doctor on call decided that due to my swelling and the blood pressure fluctuating so much that she wanted me to be induced. However, they could not do it at that hospital because my midwife was not under a doctor there.

So it was decided that I would be induced the next day in Daytona at the hospital my midwife is from. I went home realizing that I was going to have my baby. Like. TOMORROW!

There was so much to do but so little time! The funny thing is I was more relaxed then Jason who promptly started to clean EVERYTHING.

Tomorrow was the day!

And that is where I am going to leave you all....look for part two coming soon :)

You Might Also Like

5 Thoughts

  1. Oh! I can't wait for part two!
    Thanks for sharing your story Katy - each memory is precious and part of the journey that brought you to have your little guy. I can't believe he's a month already either! WOW! I'm so glad God had His hand on you every step of the way - from the first twinge to the last push! :) Anyway... I am probably blabbering now... but birth and life is just so wonderful!
    xx Rachael

    1. you never blabber!!! you are so sweet! :) God is good!! And yeah it is amazing to see God's hand in it all!

  2. Wow! I love reading birth stories. They are all so very unique and it is neat to see how things go different than we plan. When you look back, it is hard to imagine it any other way!

    Can't wait for part two!!!! :)

  3. I can't wait to read the rest of it! Sounds like my story with the pre-eclampsia, only mine started at 36 weeks, way before I got to the tired-of-being-pregnant stage. :-)

  4. cannot wait for part two! it's amazing sometimes how God's plan is WAY different than ours- but so glad everything turned out ok! (:


Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog :) I would love it if you would leave your thoughts! I will try to reply back with a comment as soon as I can so check back when you can especially if you have questions! :)

Please keep everything honoring to the Lord Jesus Christ (language, etc...) and appropriate for everyone :)

May the Lord richly bless you! Thanks for commenting :)

recent posts